Questions about new Multicolor+ for my project

Hello, as I mentioned in a previous post I am new here.
I have some questions about the new Multicolor+ material in regards to a project I’m working on.

For several years I’ve been making and selling 3d printed doll eyes using my own FDM printer and I’ve just recently been exploring the various online print services available. Of the 3 I’ve researched, the new Multicolor+ here has me the most intrigued as I would be able to print the eyeballs with realistic veining as a texture map.

Some questions…

1. I’m in U.S. so one drawback is that this only seems to be done in the Belgium shop so shipping is expensive to U.S. Any chance this will be produced in the U.S. anytime soon?

2. How noticeable are the layers with this system? My hope is that all they would need is a clear coat of varnish to make them shiny. I assume you would not want to sand these color prints.

3. For the texture map I printed it CMYK from photoshop and made corrections until it looked right when printed on white paper. Should this give a fairly close approximation to the final result?

Hello,
Please find here our replies to your questions :

1. No, not for this moment
  2. No, sorry we do not do this. 3D printed Multicolor+ has a layered buildup which is visible when looking closely.
  3. yes, but please have a look at this link : https://i.materialise.com/en/3d-printing-materials/multicolor-plus/design-guide#anchorImprovingColors7

Greetings,

Hi Esther, thanks for your response.
I wasn’t meaning that i.materialise would do the clear coat.
What I was asking is whether the prints would be smooth enough for me to simply add a clear coat without sanding - something like Krylon triple thick glaze.

Now that there is a $35 minimum for orders, each order would be at least $50 with shipping to U.S., so I’m just trying to get as much info as possible before making a decision. I had a sample eyeball printed with another online print service (fine detail plastic) and the smoothness was acceptable but the material was too transparent. The layer thickness for that process was around 28 microns.

According to the J750 specs the high speed mode is 27 micron layer resolution.
Is that what is used for the multicolor+?

Thanks,
K

Hello,

thank you for explaining your question.
You are right that the height of layers is 0.027 mm.
The surface is rather smooth as you may understand.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have further questions.

With kind regards,
Olha