Smooth or sharp edges?

Hello!

I’m working on a toy model and I would like to do the 3d print model to use later to make a mold.
I have the model done but I have a specific question about the best topology for print.
The question is: My model is made up of 3 parts, so which is the best way for print, with hard edges or smooth edges?

I have the two models with correct topology and ready for print, and as you can see in the images atttached, the hard edges model have also all points connected…But I don’t know if it’s better to print the smooth edges version or maybe it’s better the hard edges… At the end with hard edges, the final printed model will be a little “smooth” right??
I attached the images also here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eXVQcI-9NK3O6sSn01FVEoRULfbn04lt/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Hello Marc,

I’d say its the matter of your choice. Depending on the size of the model the distinction between two versions of your model may be negligible. However, there is no real difference for production, both models can be accepted for 3D printing.

Based on the image, smoothing is very fine, thus I’d expect the same output for both.

In any case, you may reach out to us via the contact form with the model attached for checking and we will be able to advise more. Please also specify the material you want to print in.

Regards,
Ivan
i.Materialise customer support

Hello Ivan,
Ok great! thanks for the reply. I will contact you with more details. The final size will be about 18cm tall and Polyamide.

Thanks!