Which printing technique/material for parts with higher tolerances

I have a part (length 300mm, width: 40mm, thickness 4mm).
The product contains holes with a positional tolerance of ±0.5mm.
Moreover, the product will be used as a drill mold, so it may not be brittle.

Is there a printing technique that is suitable for this application?
If so, which material would be the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Based on the description of your application, the most suitable material would be polyamide mjf/sls or polypropylene.
All our materials have tolerances and thus minor deviation in size may happen. You can find more information about this on the page of the material.

To place an order you just need to upload the file with your model here, select material/finishing and proceed to the checkout. However, please be informed that we do guarantee the decorative use of models 3D printed with us, the utilitarian and functional application of the prints is solely at your discretion.

Regards,
Ivan
i.Materialise Customer Support

Hi Ivan,

I see that mjf/sls has an accuracy of 0.3% with a minimum of 0.3mm. is this guarantied or will this still depend on other factors (for example big flat parts won’t rach this accuracy)

Hi Robbe,

The possible deviation figures are what actually within our standards, thus they are acceptable. However indeed this will depend on the geometry of the model as well, its orientation in the machine, etc… If found, deviations out of tolerances will be investigated since the part should be within tolerances we promote.

Regards,
Ivan
i.Materialise Customer Support

The accuracy of the 3D printed parts are good in my experience. +/- 0.5mm no problem. The problem here is that plastic is soft and when using it as a drill template it’s accuracy will have short life as the drill will touch the inside of the holes and make them bigger. One can quickly say goodby to a +/- 0.5 tolerance I would think. But hey, if it’s for a couple of times use, it might work. The best drill template will be steel or aluminium, made from a flat bar

Hi Oksoyl

Thanks for the reply!
The idea is to put hardened steel bushings in the plastic, so this wouldn’t be a problem.
If the accuracy of the printed part is good, I think it will work.