Where a manifold object intersects itself, is it solid or negative space?

I’m creating a computer-generated object, which I will export as a .obj file. One of the issues I am concerned about is that the manifold object will intersect with itself where it bends around.

When this object is 3D printed, will the intersections remain solid (as desired) or will they be empty (making a fragile object).

Thanks,

Phil

Dear Phil,

It is something that depends on your design. Certain materials allow printing hollow parts. You can use following contact us form to check feasibility of your model: https://imaterialise.helpjuice.com/contact-us

1 Like

The part will be solid, but the form will curve around and intersect with itself. I just want to be sure that the intersection itself will also be interpreted as solid.

I’m just concerned because a gotcha of software in the past is that it has, against intuition, interpreted those sorts of intersections as being empty space.

Dear Phil,

If your model will be designed solid and there will be not any internal shells, then there will be no room for any errors. You can add a request to your order to print your model solid. You can add a comment in ‘Add remarks’ section during the last step of the checkout process.

1 Like