Sun resistance material

Hi,

which “plastic” material has the strongest resistance to direct sunlight.

Best regards,
Ante

Hi Ante,
All plastics age when they come into contact with UV light, and this is no different for 3D-printed plastics. Due to the way the the technology works, resins tend to be more sensitive to UV light. To help slow down the aging process, we recommend applying a layer of paint or varnish to prevent UV light from coming into direct contact with the plastic.
Kind regards,
Stephanie

Hi Ante,
Just wanted to add to Stepanie’s answer that ABS is at the moment the best material that resists UV (sun) light.
The ‘resins’ are the most sensitive and become brownish / dark in direct sun light without a varnish. A varnish slows down the process significantly.
The Polyamide becomes also brownish but slower than the resins.
For multicolor+ we didn’t do the sunlight test yet to see how fast the sunlight fades the colors.

Wim

I’ve just had a multicolor+ model printed by you. Are there any recommended varnishes to use with multicolor+?

Hello,
At the moment multicolor is only offered in standard version. You can try a standard varnish that is used for plastics that you can buy in a shop.

1 Like

I’m going to try Mod Podge - I’ll let you know how it goes.

That would be great !
I am interested to see what it does .
Will you try the satin version ?
Can you also share pictures ?

I assume you will first try a bit on a non-visual part of your model if possible ?

Looking forward seeing it !
Wim