Price calculations for Alumide SLS

I read your post on How Prices of 3D Prints Are Calculated but I still have questions. What is the relation of “The box around your model” and “Model volume”?

Hi Koltie,

The model volume is the actual volume of your model.
The box around you model is the imaginary box you can draw around the outer dimensions of your model.

some examples :

• For a solid cube, the model volume is the same as the box around it.
  • if you hollow the cube, than the model volume is less than the box volume.
  • For a solid sphere, the ratio sphere volume / box volume is around 1/2 . (pi/6 to be exact :slight_smile: )

is this answering your question ?

Wim

Thanks. Yes I understand but I am interested in the relationship of those two within price calculations. In online orders I see the price grows more than linearly with volume for example…

For alumide , the prices are set based upon the size that the model takes inside the build. : https://i.materialise.com/en/3d-printing-materials/pricing
This is something in between of the model volume and bounding box : "The volume of your models and the space around it that your model requires in the build chamber in order to build it successfully.

You do not understand me. By the relationship I mean - how will the price differ for one model that is solid and one that is hollow? I mean solid the best you can print (your rules seem to have max. wall thickness for SLS at 20 mm). Let us imagine a box (example 5x5x5cm) - one has maximum wall thickness (20 mm) and one has thin wall of 2 mm. Will the prices differ at all?