Object rotated after upload

Hi everyone,

I would like to print a small piece of jewelry in brass. I created the model in Autodesk Maya and exported it as an .OBJ file. The pivot of my object is at 0,0,0 on the ground plane, there is no translation or rotation on the model.
However, when I upload it here, it’s always weirdly rotated or “levitating” above the grid.

Could this just be a matter of the preview? Will it be fixed automatically before print? If not, does anyone have an idea why this might be happening and how I could solve it?

Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks!

Hello,
if the model is not centered this often means that there is still a little part, which is not attached to the main model, floating in the vicinity of your piece of jewelry. If that is the case, this also could have an influence on the price, because the price of brass is directly affected by the volume of the model you intend to print.
If you send your model to our e-mail contact @ i. materialise. com (without the spaces), we will check your file and let you know what could be the problem. Kind regards Lizy

Hi Lizy,

thanks for the quick reply.
I’m pretty sure that is not the case since there is nothing else in my scene but the model itself.
But I’ll be happy to send my file and let your team have a look.

I was also wondering… are intersecting objects treated as one in print?

Thanks again!
Sina

Hi Sina, nested objects (objects floating within another object), hinged parts, and interlinking parts, such as chains, cannot be made with lost wax casting. The reason is that support structures have to be removed before being cast in Silver.

So, if the intersecting parts are well attached and can be handled as one part, it’s no problem. If not, we can’t print the model in any of our precious metals. Kind regards Lizy

Thanks again for the great support, Lizy. Here as well as by mail.
Really appreciate it.

I’ve just made my first order and can’t wait to receive it (:

Kind regards,
Sina

My uploaded model also floats above the grid, but I didn’t let that concern me since the dimensions given were as expected. If those dimensions are accurate is there any reason for concern about relative position to the grid?

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us with the concern.

There is actually nothing wrong if the preview shows the model floating above the grid. The grid shown is just the visualization of an X-Y plane.

In any case, no matter how your design is oriented in your software or our viewer, the best orientation will be chosen for printing unless you have specific requests.

Regards,
i.Materialise Customer Support team

Hi @chad.autry,

support has already answered your question but I (as the one who originally asked the question) wanted to reach out as well.

I just got my first sample prints and I couldn’t be happier. They turned out absolutely beautiful. So I just wanted to ensure you that it does not matter at all if your object is floating above the grid or rotated in any way. They will take care of it before print (: