Maya - The Last Phsycon

Sub-assembly groups of the parts were made, then painted. Particular focus was placed on the head sculpt. The surface was smoothed out using a mix of Vallejo Plastic Putty & AB thinner. This preparation assisting with painting of smooth skin tones. For the rest of the sculpture, the visible ‘grain’ from the 3D Printing process is left untouched - I find it an interesting, unique origin detail. Painting of the model was accomplished with Vallejo acrylic paints using a combination of airbrush & hand brush techniques. To finish, the sculpture was bonded together using 5 minute epoxy resin. Paint retouched where needed and spayed with combinations of flat, satin, gloss clear coats to suggest different fabrics & materials. On completion, the model stands at 320mm height overall.

1 Like

1 Like

The parts for the Maya sculpt are printed in MJF polyamide and checked for assembly and fit issues. There was a minor assembly clash with the head & hair parts (my error). It was relatively easy to manually remove excess material with a precision milling tool. After, these parts are precise fit. Design tolerances on the plug & sockets could have been tighter - However, I’m not confident when solely using ZBrushcore for the whole process. Eventually, the intent is to bond all the parts using a gap filling epoxy resin - so the loose fitting is not a major concern, this time. Some parts arrived from i.materialise sealed within protective ‘cages’ - these are interesting in that possibly, they are created as generative designs(?)

1 Like