Gold / source and AM

In an effort to care for a better planet and choose responsible I was wondering what the source of your gold is?
Without the need of disclosing your supplier, I hope Materialise is choosing to be a transparant company and you are willing to provide an answer to this question. Could you shed a light on whether the gold you are using is for instance recycled gold or ethically responsibly sourced?
I understand you can not go in very specific details, but I think a little more information of the source of the gold that is used is in order.

Currently iMaterialise is using the lost wax method for printing precious metals. Are there plans in the future of using direct metal printing instead? What method gives the best results or why have you chosen for lost wax over direct metal printing?

Thank you for your response

1 Like

Dear Emma,

Thank you for your question.
We are buying gold on the market from different suppliers.
Whether it is recycled or ethically responsibly sourced we are not able to guarantee.

We do offer direct metal printing for Titanium and Aluminium.
Direct metal printing of the currently casted metals depends on the evolution of the cost effectiveness of it or whether direct metal printing is required for specific applications.
For the near future, direct metal printing for the casted metals are not foreseen.

Kind regards,
Wim

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply and info, Wim!