Durability to touch and UV stability of painted/dyed/polished SLS Polyamide

Hello Everyone
I have just received a part in SLS Polyamide, dyed black and polished. I am very happy with the surface quality.
However, since this part will be a handle of sorts on a machine, it will be touched by many hands each day, cleaned and subject to UV light (not outdoors).
Under these loads, which material and/or surface coating is the most durable in your experience?
Thanks for your advice
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Good that you’ve decided to polish and dye the model. If it had been in natural output, white and a bit grainy, it would have suffered a lot and got smeared because of body sweat, liquids, sunlight and constant interaction with.

Due to polishing the surface is smooth and will absorb less of possible stains. When dyed the color penetrates into the surface 2-3mm, so it shouldn’t wear off.

However if the piece will be interacting with a lot of different stuff it may indeed lose its external look and integrity but it depends on how loads are intensive.

You may just wipe the piece with a damp wiper avoiding obese moisture.

As an alternative for future you may try watertight finishing for polyamide where the model is sealed so is more resistant to liquids, however offered only in natural white finish may show stains fast.

Regards,
i.Materialise Customer Support