Detail check for metal

Hi!

I’m planning on making a silver ring and a couple of microphone badges. It’s my first time working with metal, either cast or 3D printed, so I’d love to have my files checked to see if the detail will survive the printing/casting/polishing process.

This is the file for the silver ring, which I’d like to have made in the Antique finish, so the receded parts around the letters will be darkened.

This is the file for the microphone badge, which has very fine lines in the receded parts. I would like to know if these will survive when having them printed in steel, or if bronze would be a better fit to retain the details.

Thanks in advance!

Wouter

Hello Wouter, thank you for considering working with us for this project. I checked both models and the first thing I noticed about the ring were the dimensions of 44 mm, which seem pretty large for a ring. Rings mostly are between 20 and 25 mm. Without being sure of the final dimensions, it’s hard to say something about the text on the ring, who has only a height of 23 mm. You can find out more about text and surface details for silver models on https://i.materialise.com/en/3d-printing-materials/silver/design-guide#anchorEngravedTextandSurfaceDetails10

For the microphone badge, which has indeed very fine lines in the receded parts, steel is most certainly not a good idea. Steel is the cheapest form of metal printing and is polished by tumbling your model with corn polish to smooth the surface. As stated on our website, i.materialise steel is typically used for non-functional parts and is not recommended for parts that require high precision or parts with fine details (recommended wall thickness of steel is 1 mm).

But even in Bronze, this model has to fine details. We need a minimum level of detail of 0.35 x 0.35 mm.

You can also make an analysis by yourself. If you go to your uploaded models in your personal zone at your i.materialise account, you can check at any time what we see when we check your models by using the module “analyze”. You just swipe over the model and then you get the choice between the option “open” or “analyze”. By choosing “analyze” the program will start checking your model and at the end (it may take awhile) you will get the analysis of your model in your in-box. For more information how to do this, please check https://imaterialise.helpjuice.com/using-imaterialise/wall-thickness-analysis?from_search=31336007

Kind regards Lizy

Hello Lizy,

thanks for taking the time to check both files. I didn’t even notice the strange dimensions of the ring, the height is ok but the diameter has doubled for some reason. I will correct this and make sure the text is conform to the surface details guidelines you linked to.

As for the mic badge, I will check if I can increase the size of the lines to meet the minimum requirements. Is there a material that could print this as it is now? I might be able to use this to make molds for metal clay.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Hi Wouter,

No problem and I’m glad I could point out the strange dimensions of the ring.

The only material for the mic badge would be high detail stainless steel. You can find out more for this material on https://i.materialise.com/en/3d-printing-materials/high-detail-stainless-steel

Kind regards Lizy