Can steel go smaller than .8 for just a small portion of the model?

Hi there,

I am considering using steel to create small ‘cookie cutters’ that can cut out shapes out of clay for a ceramics jeweller. I have previously made them out of PET plastic which has worked great, but PET requires relatively thick walls and is not suitable for small shapes.

I have created two models based on your steel specs, both with 1mm walls. However in Model 1 the wall gets thinner to .8mm at the bottom whereas in Model 2 it gets down to .2mm (which is preferred).

Link to both models: https://we.tl/t-hjTgA0O7yW

1. I’m aware your guidelines mention a minimum detail thickness of .8mm for steel, is it possible however to go down to .2mm? I’m asking this because it is only a small part of the model less than 1mm in height where it would go smaller.

2. Is the steel prone to rust when using with clay and if so is there a specific coating that will help? (which will be slightly moist)

3. Is it possible to use my Dutch VAT code in checkout but send the order to the UK? I am Dutch and live in London, but you do not get a VAT code as a freelancer in the UK. I am registered as a freelancer in both countries however and have a Dutch BTW code.

Warm Regards,
Twan

Hi Twan,

The models are both printable.
Model 2 .8mm bottom has thin edges, about.2mm, are at some risk of breaking or distorting.

This material when exposed to moisture will definitely rust/oxidize. The coating can wear down though if it is constantly handled. Any coating that prevents the exposure of the material to moisture should prevent the rust from forming.
Regarding VAT number I am afraid we can not “treat” the system this way.
The orders which are sending to UK should have UK Vat number.
If you have any further questions I would be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Anna